Saturday, November 08, 2008

A New WPA? or Change We Can Believe In!

Last night I was catching up on reading and found on Greg Mankiw's site a posting called "The New Draft" that showed the new administration ready to REQUIRE service from citizens. He quotes the website "Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. (emphasis and color is Greg's)"

I was moved to post, but it was late, so...

This morning Greg has modified his post since: "The presidential transition website to which I linked above no longer uses the word 'require.' The passage quoted above was copied and pasted from that website (with bolding added by me). But within a few hours after I posted it here, the wording changed to "setting a goal."I am delighted to see this blog having so much influence on the policies of the new administration. That's change I can believe in!"

I hope bloggers do continue to have influence when this positive. What at first struck me about the posting on the Obama website was that this was the kind of economic policy change that can not help the overall economy. I have been troubled by the constant statements from the campaign (and I suspect still) that the way to grow an economy is from the bottom up.

I suspect we are in for a lot of these kind of proposals.

No comments:

Post a Comment